Tuesday 25 October 2022

These are my favourite things - in the quilting world, of course!

 I was busy getting things ready in my Sewing Room for my granddaughter this morning when I suddenly thought about my favourite things in there. 

So I took a picture of them!


From left to right.

1. My cylindrical tin of plastic binding clips. I love these as when I used straight pins to hold binding I always stabbed myself many times over. As I take blood thinners this is not good! Got tired of sponging blood spots out of fabric by dabbing with rags dipped in cold water.😢

2. Back row: One of my many labelled tins and plastic boxes now labelled clearly so I know exactly what’s inside. Spent a long time doing this when I reorganised my newly refurbished  Sewing Room last year but so worth it.

3. A Clover thimble, a soft rubbery one with a dimpled metal top with a ridge around the top to stop my needle skidding off. It sticks to my finger and doesn’t drop off too often when I’m hand quilting whereas my old silver ones did.

4. My wonderful wooden poker which I use when turning things inside out and poking out the seams and for stuffing with kapok.  This was a found item I picked up when I passed a building site in New Zealand. Houses are framed out with wood and I think these might be used instead of nails. I have found it so useful over the years and each time it reminds me of happy times living in that wonderful country.

5. Pair of Singer scissors which I’ve had for years but have managed to keep them solely for cutting fabric so they still cut like cutting through butter.

6. My collection of different sized rulers, so useful and quick when trimming blocks. Very precise.

And last but not least, my revamped Sewing room.


Please note my lovely double strip light behind my sewing machine. So easy to use, you just tap each end 4 times to get the brightest light setting and one tap to turn it off. Made my sewing corner so much brighter.

Also I love that I now have my cutting mat on top of my sewing table. I used to cut all my fabrics downstairs, either on the kitchen table or dining table. It made such a mess with bits of lint and threads  and tiny scraps all over the place. Less vacuuming now. Win win!

And a view of some of the labelled boxes. The top one came from New Zealand too!



So, my favourite things. Care to join me in the song?



2 comments:

  1. https://jobutterfield.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a treat to see other quilters special and much used and loved items in their sewing rooms.

    ReplyDelete