I love making String blocks and a few years ago ( I think 2017 as I found a blogpost about some I’d made for RSC that month) I started making some in the RSC colours. Last week I made 4 green String blocks to use up a few strips. As I added them to the bag of blocks I realised I had rather a lot. A couple of years ago I saw a quilt that Cathy of Crazy by Design had made just using three colours of RSC String blocks - red, yellow and pink - which looked really eye catching. Then a few days ago another Cathy of Sane, Crazy, Crumb quilting showed 2 quilts she had made from large blocks which she had divided into Cool and Hot colours. They looked so effective.
So I got out my Hot colours: red, orange, pink and yellow. I had very few red blocks and not enough of those 4 colours to make a quilt so I added the neutral ones too. However, I was still a few blocks short so made a few more orange and yellow ones. Then I set out the 5” blocks in an 8 x 8 lay out. A couple of afternoons later I had this flimsy:
It looks very pretty and I’m pleased with it. However, as I finished pressing it I found a problem with one of the neutral blocks. Two strings had been sewn too closely together and had pulled apart to make an open slit in the block! So this afternoon I had the fiddly job of unpicking the seams around it and inserting a new block. I fortunately had a couple of neutrals left over. But it was a good lesson for me to learn : to check all seams on string blocks before I sew them together into a quilt!
Linking up with Angela’s RSC 2021 on her So Scrappy blog.