Thursday 30 May 2013

My first String Quilt

Due to the sudden changes in Flickr I found my original Buddy Icon was too small for the new-style Flickr.  I wanted to keep the String Quilt idea as I feel it is "me".  I love scrap quilts and I love making string blocks, cushions and quilts.

So I tried to find my original photo only to realise that I never put this quilt up onto my Flickr photostream.  It was the first String Quilt I made. 
My idea was to create a rainbow so I used the colours of the rainbow as centre strips to the blocks which, when they came together, created the 7 colours of the rainbow.  I added an extra red and yellow as the corner blocks as I wanted 9 blocks for the quilt.


Rainbow Quilt
 
When my granddaughter Annalise was born in February 2010 I gave my Rainbow Quilt to my daughter to hang on the wall in the baby's room.  From very early days Annalise loved looking at it and eventually could pick out the colours and various "I Spy" details.
A precious memory.
 


A close-up of the "Orange Block".
 
I tied this quilt using red embroidery floss as I didn't want to detract from the vibrant Rainbow blocks by doing lots of quilting.
 
I subsequently made another of these quilts for our New Zealand friend Cushla for her 60th birthday.  It was a great hit, Cushla loved her gift.  This quilt was uploaded onto my Flickr photostream.
 
 
Rainbow Nation Quilt

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Just spotted this in a list whilst commenting on your latest post. This is so effective, I love the clever effect of the boxes, and the colours are so cheerful.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This was a very successful quilt, all scraps like I enjoy making use of.

      Delete