Sunday 2 January 2022

Some new RSC string blocks and planning for 2022

 I bought some new fabrics on sale from one of the two companies I order from online. 

They arrived a few days ago so I now need to sort out my sewing room and find places for the new material. So I started by looking through my stash of strings and collected together the pink, neutral, green, blue and yellow strings and enjoyed doing some mindless sewing over a couple of afternoons, using telephone book paper as the foundations to make a pile of 5.5” (which will be 5” finished) RSC  String blocks.

Here they are:




I have been thinking about RSC projects and have decided to continue making the following blocks:

1. Roman stripes 

2. Twinkler blocks 

3. 4.5” Crumb blocks to use as the centres for 8” Sawtooth blocks

4. Small Wonky Stars

I will make these blocks when the colour of the month matches where I need to fill the gaps in the collections I have already made.

I know Cathy of Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting blog has a plethora of ideas for her RSC projects and I am going to look through those and see if I can find another couple of new blocks to try out.

A couple of years ago I made some Ship blocks in three different sizes, enough to make 2 quilt tops. I finished one and gifted it to George, my friend’s 6 year old grandson. The other is still a flimsy so I think it’s time to turn that into a donation quilt which I’ll probably give to the Linus Project.

As for January’s choice of red I know I won’t be able to make too many blocks as I have virtually no red scraps.

I will make a few little Wonky Stars, some Sawtooth Star Crumb centres, perhaps a couple of String blocks and Twinklers. I do like stars don’t I?

I will continue to make Ticky Tacky houses, Easy Breezy blocks, and little Fish blocks too.

So, plenty to keep me busy - I had better hurry and sort out my Sewing Room and organise my stash.

Happy New Year, everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great group of RSC blocks Linda;)) I will make some red crumb ones and strings...for now...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can find enough red scraps to play with. Sounds like you have plenty of blocks to keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you’ve got your ideas well in hand! I’m overwhelmed with the amount of red scraps I have from the scrap infusion last fall from Quilts for Kids. Plus I keep adding to and subtracting block ideas. But you KNOW I love those yummy string blocks you’re making!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been quick off the mark with beginning your 2022 quilting - I love your string blocks in every colour, I could use some mindless sewing at the moment, good idea!

    ReplyDelete