Saturday 21 November 2020

Ships Ahoy! Has sailed and berthed.

 I finished the first if my two Sailing Ships quilts. It’s the larger one and I’ve called it Ships Ahoy!


It measures 57” x 44” and I machine quilted it, in the ditch along the seams going down the columns and along the top and bottom of the blocks. Then I machined in the ditch around the boats.
I made a pieced backing from fabrics I had in my stash.

I decided to gift it to one of my local friends for her grandson George who is 6 years old. George thoroughly enjoyed a few days sailing with his Grandad during the summer so I though he would like this quilt. I took it round to my friend yesterday and told her to keep it for when George is able to come and stay with them again once our Lockdown restrictions allow so he can have it on his bed at Grandma and Grandad’s house. My friend was so amazed and overcome that she almost burst into tears! This morning when we woke up we discovered that she had written a beautiful Thank you card and told us to look out for a special Nature Book which was going to be delivered today. It came and it’s lovely, every day of the year has something in nature to look out for when we out walking. Perfect for us as we walk pretty much every day.
It’s so rewarding when a gifted quilt is so well received and that all the work involved in making it is so understood and appreciated. I’m really pleased I made those Sailing Ship blocks and I still have another flimsy made from them to turn into a finished quilt.

Linking up with Angela’s So Scrappy blog.

8 comments:

  1. Your Ships Ahoy quilt is so fun! It really does sound like the perfect gift for your friend. Isn't it fun to surprise someone like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very uplifting to hear a happy story. Being appreciated is a bonus. The quilt will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely to give... and to receive such a +ve response back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute quilt, and you found a perfect recipient! The assorted backgrounds for the ships add lots of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's heartwarming to hear of such a well received gift. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story about a wonderful quilt.

    I have never been very good at stitching in the ditch. I've driven into a ditch once or twice in snow storms but when it comes to sewing I try to stay in the ditch but am usually out of the ditch more than in. It sure looks wonderful on those ships.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one beautiful quilt!! The mix of sailing boats is so colourful, a very happy looking quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of your sailing ship quilts are beautiful, Linda! They’ll be appreciated and loved well, I’m sure. xo

    ReplyDelete