Friday 8 November 2019

Creating quilts from scraps

I was gifted a bag of scraps ( not huge) from a lovely quilting friend Sheila. My quilting group know I’m crazy about scraps - many of them probably think I’m weird as they wouldn’t get excited about such things!
Here’s the bag and contents:



I decided that I would make use of them straight away as I know that once scraps go into drawers and cupboards they stay there for years.
I sorted them into “like” groups and then contemplated them.    
                  

   
At the back are 8 blocks so I decided to use them in two sets of 4 as Medallion centres for two Improvised quilts. I sewed them side by side for a while and then decided to.   continue with the turquoise one and here it is as a flimsy:

     


 Medallion Improvisation  2 looks like this so far:




Then I turned my attention to the sets of blue and green (with a bit of deep pink) string sections. 
I think they were probably cut off sections but they suggested a Coin Quilt to me so I added lots of blue and green fabrics from my scraps and stash and made 6 Coin columns 

 
A
I am going to add 5 columns in a different contrasting colour and alternate with these to create a Coin Quilt. This afternoon I sewed those 5 columns together. What colour do you think I have chosen?

Come back tomorrow to find out. 

2 comments:

  1. Great way to use the scraps. You have been very creative in finding designs for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a coin‘s quilt recently, using lots of 5 inch charm squares cut in half. They were lots of fun. For the alternating strips I tried out black, white, gray but ended up using a soft medium green. That was not something I would’ve ordinarily chosen but it really worked well. So I know your choice will be also.

    ReplyDelete