Saturday 25 November 2023

Layout for new RSC quilt

 I’ve had a busy week sewing, finishing one quilt, machine quilting another and then gathered together the RSC String blocks I have been making over the past couple of years.

I had a good number of String blocks in various colours but the majority were blue, green, pink and yellow so I decided to make a quilt from those four colours.

Here it is set out on my “design “ floor.


I make them using telephone directory pages as foundations so my next task is to remove all the papers from the blocks. An easy job to do whilst I watch TV.

Another evening I sewed on the binding to my Penguin Parade quilt. I am happy with the result.


It finished at 36” x 40”. Some close ups:




I basted and machine quilted this quilt - Field Day from the book Seamingly Scraps.

I sewed in all the ends from the quilted lines of machine stitching using a Self-threading needle. I recently heard these mentioned on a Youtube video. What an amazing invention! So easy to use- I wish I had heard of them years ago!


And now I can trim and bind it.

Joining up with Angela’s SoScrappy blog.

8 comments:

  1. wonderful projects and great finish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such great projects, Linda! I always love string blocks - you're inspiring me to make some, too. Penguin Parade is a really cute finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of busy sewing happening at yours Linda. The string blocks are looking exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Linda! Lots of cute quilts going on here! The Penguin Parade is adorable and I like that Seamingly Scraps idea for some larger print novelties. I might see one of those in my future. And string blocks...I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful design layout for your RTSC blocks Linda! So good to see the penguins again all finished and with the addition of Field Day you've had a busy time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The penguins on parade is such a fun fabric that you used well. Congratulations on the finish. Your layout of the string pieced blocks works well. Reminds me of color block abstractions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on finishing up Penguin Parade and making progress on the other two quilts, as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love self threading needles! I only recently discovered them as well.

    ReplyDelete