Saturday 18 November 2023

Another finished flimsy

 I did a lot of sewing this week but also a lot of unpicking due to not reading the pattern carefully.

A couple of years ago I saw  a lovely quilt on Sylvia’s Treadlestitches blog. It was from a book called Seamingly Scraps. I thought the pattern would be a great way to use some of my larger pieces of novelty fabrics and managed to get a cheap second hand copy online. I used a piece of little dinosaur fabric which has a lovely blue background and is a great focus print. On one level the pattern is very clear, how the multi coloured 2.5” scraps fit together to make the diagonal “pathway” which weaves through the quilt top. I had a super time chain piecing them but when I came to lay out the blocks I found that the little four patches didn’t work because the majority of my squares were cut from directional fabrics.I couldn’t abide all those elephants, cats etc going sideways or standing on their heads so practically took all the finished blocks to pieces and started again, matching each block to the pattern! What a waste of time and energy!

 Anyway, it’s now a top and this afternoon I basted it so next week I can machine quilt it. Not sure how I will do that yet.


Not good lighting because it was getting dark.



A close up showing the dinosaur fabric and the “pathways”.

I also machine quilted the Penguin Parade quilt and have started to echo quilt the stars on it.


Late this afternoon I decided to investigate my RSC String quilt blocks and see what I could make from them. I’ve laid them out and almost managed to make a quilt which should measure 40” square. Just need to make 4 more pink String Blocks. Another job next week when I hope to get this RSC project on the way to being finished. 

In the end, a productive week.

Joining in with Angela’s SoScrappy RSC blog.

6 comments:

  1. That's such a cute quilt - love the design! I have a hard time deciding if the directional prints always need to be right side up in a quilt, too. Whichever way you do it, this one is very fun! Love the Penguin Parade quilt from your previous post, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I couldn’t leave the upside down and sideways facing animals as it originally was!

      Delete
  2. Now that's an interesting pattern for a small quilt! I'm going to be making one for our expected great-grand-daughter (due in a few days). I held off because we thought she mahy have been prem. Laughed at your having to redo the blocks -I would have had to do exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how similarly our brains work!

      Delete
  3. Wow. Unpicking all of them. No!!! I would have left them so they can look at them from any direction. That’s lazy me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SEW sorry that you felt the need to redo your blocks, Linda! My philosophy is that there doesn't need to be a "right side up" and tend to let the prints fall where they may.

    ReplyDelete