Sunday 3 April 2022

Making Pink RSC Sawtooth Stars

 I sorted out my pink scraps , don’t have many so I added chunks and FQs:



I used the scraps to make as many 4.5” Crumb blocks as possible. They made 6.


Then I pieced the Sawtooth Stars cutting from the larger pieces of fabric. I used a green with white polka dot fabric for the star points in two of the blocks to get a bit more contrast.



I am rather disappointed with these blocks, not enough contrast in them for my liking. But those were the pinks I had available so I worked with them.

I have been following Pat Sloan’s YouTube videos for some weeks now and really enjoying them. Yesterday I watched the interview she had on a site called Textile Talks. I enjoyed that video and then found an older one where Kaffe Fassett and his niece Erin were interviewed.

 It was fantastic! I am a Kaffe fan and have been lucky enough to meet him on a few occasions and also visited several of his exhibitions so I knew he was a multi talented guy - painting, knitting, cross stitch, patchwork and fabric design but this video blew me away! 

Something he said resonated with me.

Last Sunday was Mothering Sunday here in the UK and our daughter Caroline arranged for a local florist to deliver a pretty jar of flowers, all different pinks and purple blooms.

Kaffe said an artist he knew always painted vases of flowers when the flowers were almost dead because their colour was intensified. This intrigued me so I took another photo yesterday, a week after I received them and they are definitely on their last legs, but I do think the colours are more intense.


Aren’t we lucky to be able to watch videos such as these? Do watch if you can.
Linking up with Angela’s So Scrappy blog.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with KF - I have long loved to see flowers as they slowly move towards the end of their freshness. Hydrangeas are a favourite of mine for this process.
    Love your pink blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 'pink' blocks are looking great! When you set them beside others later, these gentle values will work I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete