Saturday 26 March 2022

Couldn’t resist those Bear Paws!

 I have never made a Bear Paw block before. No idea why because I always thought they looked great. I think it might be because over the years I’ve probably looked up patterns on Google and found they need odd sized pieces, cut at 2.875”, for example. so I was put off trying.

I follow Cathy’s blog Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting and this year she finished a gorgeous turquoise, purple and white Bear Paw Quilt and  since then has been making more Bear Paw blocks in all sorts of colours and fabrics. Well, of course they caught my eye and then my eyes positively gleamed when I read that she used 4.5” and 2.5” scraps. In my head I translated that as “squares” so I sorted out some yellow scraps ( still March yellow ) and kitted up 7 blocks. Sewed the first making the HSTs as I always do but when I came to join those to the square they were too short, so I had to swap out the 4.5” squares for smaller 3.5” ones. That worked, ending up with 5” Bear Paws.  I’ve since kitted up a few more in the original size and I’ll make the HSTs by sewing 1/4” away from the diagonal and snipping of the bonus triangle corners.

Of course I’ve since learned that Cathy used 2.5” strips, using her Easy Angle ruler for quickness. 

I do have one of those rulers so perhaps next week I’ll try that method for some Pink blocks.

Here are my original 7 Bear Paws and the one Ticky Tacky House I made.


And that was all the sewing I managed to do. On Monday I started a cold, Tuesday felt a bit better and went out to my Volunteering work but on Wednesday I felt dreadful and ended up in bed - still there. I was having these unbelievable bouts of coughing and yesterday morning I literally couldn’t breathe and we called the ambulance as I have several heart conditions and was afraid this wouldn’t be good for my heart. The two paramedics were fantastic, checked me over thoroughly with their battery of machines and decided I had a viral cough. So, no antibiotics, just time, before I start to feel better. Really frightening, but the things the guys suggested are helping and my husband has been great calming me down and helping to get my breathing under control when I’m having a bad coughing spell. 

So, an odd week. A shame because our weather has been beautiful and that is due to change to cold again. 

Linking up with Angela’s So Scrappy blog.

10 comments:

  1. So sorry you're dealing with such a scary cough, Linda! Hope it gets better each day in the week ahead. Your bear paw blocks are such scrappy fun - no matter what size they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I ami proving day by day but still very tied and but the coughing bouts are reducing in violence, thank heavens. You’re very kind about my blocks.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to read about you being so unwell Linda - calling the ambulance was he best move and I know how frightening it can be to have this sort of thing happen when you have existing heart conditions. I do hope you're improving day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of the easy angle ruler. I don't like to cut anything that isn't in half inch increments and it is nice to just be able to pull out precut strips for everything. The bear's paw blocks look great. Hope you continue to feel better. So scary not to be able to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, goodness! Do take care of yourself.
    Bear Paws are lovely in any size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job figuring out how to fix those blocks. They look good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute YELLOW/GOLD Bear Paw blocks for the RSC! Sorry to hear that you got so sick so fast, Linda. Scary stuff! Hope you health improves with each passing day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So soRry to read of your health issues, having trouble breathing must be so frightening. Rest up and take care. Lovely bears paws, a d such a cute little house block too. I've got a lot of house blocks I made some time ago, must dig them out and start putting them together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute bear paw blocks! Yes, I've stumbled across odd measurements before with other patterns, I prefer to work with 'normal' sizes! Hope you are improving by now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you’re continuing to do better, Linda. With Covid around, that must’ve been scary! xo

    ReplyDelete