Sunday 13 March 2022

Thinking of Ukraine

 Like everyone in the world I am worried about the horrific situation in Ukraine and feel helpless as to how to help other than donate money to relief charities.

However I discovered that one of our daughter’s school Mums acquaintances is Ukrainian, her elderly parents, brother, sister in law and family live in Ukraine. We think the parents and brother’s wife and family were hoping to escape but know nothing further. Then I watched Pat Sloan’s YouTube about making a small quilt in the Ukrainian flag colours ( her’s was a hanging for her door), downloading the pattern in exchange for a donation. I decided to make one for Tanya whom I’ve never met and that’s what I’ve been working on. Now finished, ready for a label and then I can deliver it to Tanya in the hope she knows her family is in my thoughts and prayers.


I used a binding made from 2.25” strips which was great. I normally make bindings from 2.5” strips but remember a while ago using the narrower one and loving it and intending to continue using it. But I forgot and didn’t! I like it, must use this in the future for all my quilts!!!


So I haven’t done much RSC sewing but I have made 6 Sawtooth blocks with yellow crumb centres. Two more kitted out but no time to finish today.



The backing for my Ukrainian quilt (measuring 24” square) is a yellow tiny check so the trimmings have given me more yellow scraps so I think more RSC blocks will be happening next week, the last week for Yellow.

So, my thoughts are with Ukraine. Whatever you can donate please do. Money, prayers, everything. Linking with Angela’s So Scrappy RSC blog.


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift you've made! I watched Pat's video, but didn't make a start on that. I'm loving your Crumb Stars for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in such troubled times Linda aren't we!
    Sending my prayers for all.

    ReplyDelete