Monday 15 February 2021

A Trio of Quilts

 I finished the last of the Trio of Quilts that I intend to donate to a Gift Shop in town. Its profits go to 

The Samaritans, an excellent organisation which helps so many desperate people.

 
The First quilt measures 38” square



And its pieced backing


The Second quilt measure 36” square 


And its pieced backing 


And the Third Quilt which measures 40” square



And its pieced backing 


All three used Crumb blocks that were already in my stash and fabrics and scraps I had to hand. Some scraps had been gifted to me, others were leftovers from previous projects.

I had to be inventive with the backing as I don’t have too many large pieces of fabric  in my stash.

The turquoise quilt used up a piece of fabric I had acquired several years ago when one of my quilting friends, Helen, was downsizing. It’s actually a Christmas fabric and until this quilt I had never found just the right place to use it. The fabric was not big enough for a whole backing so I added the turquoise solid strip to make it fit which I think ties it in nicely with the front of the quilt.

I had a piece of pretty pink with tiny white spots fabric that I thought would be suitable for the backing of the quilt with the mauve spotted border. Again it wasn’t large enough so I added strips either end of a bright Starry fabric which has been in my stash for years and years! (I still have some left!)

And finally the Quilt with the bright pink spotted border required even more juggling to create a backing. I didn’t have enough of the pink of the inner border but by piecing some of the bright outer border fabric I managed to create a large enough backing. 

I always cut binding fabrics at 2.5” but I already had quite a lot of the outer border fabric cut at 2.25” (leftovers from a previous quilt) so I decided to cut a few more strips at that width and use those leftover strips. I was delighted with this binding and from now on I’ll always use this 2.25” width. It makes a really neat edge to the quilt.

So, three baby quilts, all machine quilted, and ready to take to the shop owner.

4 comments:

  1. Well done Linda. Great finishes for charity. They all look lovely. Hope all is going well over there. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three delightful quilts Linda. I hope they find good homes and the Samaritans will have a little more to add to their very necessary funds. I have a friend in the UK who carried out telephone shifts in the evening, he found if quite harsrrowing at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completing THREE wonderful donation quilts made from scraps!! Those are my favorite kinds of quilts.

    ReplyDelete