Monday 24 February 2020

Being creative with red scraps

This month’s colour for making Sunshine Guild blocks is Red, another colour that is always lacking in my stash so I had to get creative. I had some 1.5” strips, a few 2.5” and 3” squares in the scraps collection gifted by Wendy and a couple of Christmas fabrics that I thought I could use. “Holiday “ fabrics are not allowed so no Santa Claus, Christmas story, Easter eggs etc.  However I have risked using a snowflake fabric and a red with gold etched flowers.

I made some 4 Patch blocks from the 2.5” squares and trimmed the 3” squares down so I could have a bit more variety.
I enjoy making Sawtooth blocks and found I could make some 8” ones which I framed with a double border to bring them up to the requested 12.5” block size.
Here they are:


I made 5 blocks in January in the Blue and Yellow colours that were requested. I saw the block on a blog and tried to replicate it. Most are right but I seem to have twisted the four parts of the block around wrongly in a couple of them. But I decided not to do any seam ripping!


It’s a very dull day here so I’m afraid the colours look much duller in the photographs that they actually are.
I’ll post these to Tammy in Texas tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Well done for your sewing. A change of colour is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the red shades you worked with in the top photo and somewhere in the past few days I came across a tutorial for the crosses in the yellow and blue - can't remember where now!!

    ReplyDelete