Tuesday 11 September 2018

My Fidget Quilt is finished

Earlier in the year the organiser of  my Patchwork Group brought to our attention an article about 
Fidget Quilts which help people suffering from dementia. She suggested that we tried to make some and members contributed orphan blocks, zips, beads, buttons, fleece and so on for us to add to our stashes.
I actually found this difficult but here's my finished offering. Backed with a lovely blue fleece, lots to
do and feel and look at. I crocheted  the orange rose using a You Tube video, bought little teddy from Oxfam, used a plastic coated ladybird square I had had in my stash for ages - a  nice  shiny "feely" square. A heart from a stiff net-like piece on top of a contrast fabric.
 


Little teddy is on a ribbon, press stud fastening so he can be taken off when the quilt is washed. The button to cover the stitching was chosen by my granddaughter.

In the end I'm happy with the result.

6 comments:

  1. You really thought off everything, plus it being colorful for people with low vision. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. I researched Fidget Quilts and tried to make mine bright, textures, familiar things (buttons, ribbons, a pocket, a zip) to fiddle with. Also some glitter to catch the attention.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. I started with the teddy and his pocket and then went from there.

      Delete
  3. Great idea for people with dementia. I used to see people in the care facilities picking endlessly at all sorts of things including themselves. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. I understand these quilts help to focus sufferer's need to pick at things. Hope mine helps someone.

      Delete