Saturday 22 April 2023

Inspiration from Cathy K for my latest RSC finished quilt





 Thanks to Cathy K (Crazy by Design blog) for her Creatures from the Deep Orphan block quilts. They all intrigue me and I look at them all intently, trying to pick up tips and ideas.

I had intended to make a green one from some RSC leftover blocks but it all looked rather dull and I didn’t have a lot of green scraps either so decided to inject a bit more colour by using some yellow blocks too.



I love the finished quilt, measuring 42” square.

I always admire pieced backings, a great way to use those larger scraps and avoid adding to the scrap bag.

However, I got too carried away, using far too many leftover blocks and ending up with a backing too similar to the front of the quilt. So much so I confused myself big time. I loaded the quilt “sandwich” onto my ironing board and started smoothing and pinning only to find the backing was far too short all the way round. What???? After a few rude words, which brought my husband into the Utility Room to see what was going on, I discovered I had confused myself and had muddled the front and the backing. 

Eventually sorted out and I’m pleased with the result. No more complicated over-clever backings for me!

This is the backing

I’ve also done a little trimming of RSC Wonky Stars and using some HSTs to make economy blocks for another variation of a Green and Yellow RSC Finish. So, a good week’s sewing. 

Linking with Angela’s RSC So Scrappy blog. 

3 comments:

  1. Isnt it fun what can be made out of spare blocks and bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have put just as much work into the back of the quilt as the front. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Linda, you are a clever girl indeed! You used up so many scraps in the front and back that you put the rest of us to shame! I wish I could explain the way a quilt develops step by step as you have!

    Sorry I’m so late in commenting. Things have been so hectic here that the unread blog posts in my feed numbered in the hundreds. I was going to delete them all and start fresh, but after I read your comments to my posts in my email, I had to come check out your quilts. So glad I did! I hope that your wonderful pile of finished quilts means that you’re feeling better these days! xo

    ReplyDelete