Sunday 26 March 2023

Using up scraps and stash



 I have been busy in my sewing room this week, trying to use up scraps and stash.

I used my newly invented ironing board method to sandwich the playmat I am working on. It worked brilliantly! Completely flat at the first smoothing and pinning so this is a winner. As I’ve decided I’m only making small quilts from now on I will continue with this method,

I worked hard on the playmat and yesterday I sewed on the binding, using new fabric I bought online. I thought a red and white stripe would show off all the different novelty squares and I’m pleased with the result. I watched TV last night and hand sewed a lot of the binding which I should finish today.



I hand quilted around a few more stars on the Pink Scrappy quilt and I love how it’s coming along. A neighbour popped in and saw it and loved it! I think I’ll ask her if she knows of a new new baby girl she could gift it to.

As it’s green for RSC this month I got out all my green scraps - hardly any. I cut a few more strips to make some Strippy blocks, then saw Cathy’s post yesterday (Crazy by Design) which gave me an idea for a centre section for a Green Scrappy quilt.
Here’s my start:

I’ll be adding some yellow to mine to bulk out the green scraps and use some more of my stash of Wonky stars. I’m loosing count of how many quilts I’ve added those to! Probably make some 4 patches with green and yellow and see if I can work those in. It will be like a puzzle to work out as I go along.
I’ve also been leader and ender sewing some 8 patch rectangles I had put in piles by my machine ( an idea of Cathy’s, Sane Crazy Crumby Patchwork blog ). Hope to show a few finishes next week.
Joining with Angela’s So Scrappy RSC blog.

4 comments:

  1. Your patchwork play mat is delightful, Linda! I love all that fun color. The green elephants are perfect as an alternate block for the strings, and I think some yellow would work its way in nicely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some little one will love having the play mat. I love the centre section you've shown above Linda and the yellow along with the green makes the strip blocks glow. Looking forward to watching this quilt grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those novelty squares made for a very cute quilt. I think it now needs a baby to cuddle! Glad you found a basting method that works and nice to see you sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda! Wow, it’s good to see you making such great scrappy progress. The play mat is delightful!! Glad you are adding plain squares to the strings. I think it gives the eyes a nice place to rest amongst the busy-ness of the strings. Looking forward to see how your little quilt progresses!! xo

    ReplyDelete