Sunday 12 March 2023

Pain stopped play

 In the UK cricket is very popular, played in the summer when there can be stoppages for rain showers.

The phrase for that is “Rain stopped play”. Well in my case of trying to sew the phrase should be “Pain stopped play”. I have been suffering since early December with terrible pain in my neck, right shoulder and the ball of my shoulder. I have very strong pain killers from my GP and have had an MRI and X-rays of the area which have shown some age degeneration and rotor cuff problems. As a result I have not been able to do much sewing, all far too painful. So my pink RSC didn’t do too well and there’s hardly any green except 2 string blocks.

I took a photo of the remains of my pink scraps:



I had hoped to sandwich the little baby quilt I made from pink scraps and Wonky stars blocks which I really enjoyed putting together. I had to make 8 more Wonky stars as I didn’t have enough finished pink ones in my stash from last year.


It finishes at 34” wide by 36” long., the most I could get out of my pink scraps. I had a look at some of the other RSC block stashes but didn’t think any would make a suitable extra border but thought they would spoil what I have so far, so a small baby quilt it will be be - eventually.  My shoulder is far too painful to sandwich  this one ready to quilt although that was what I had hoped to do this morning.

I did manage to machine quilt and add the binding on the Coin style quilt I made from RSC Roman striped blocks and am in the process of hand sewing the binding down. Again my shoulder is too painful for that too.

When I went into town to have some blood tests at the surgery I managed to go to our Sewing and Knitting shop to spend a voucher and bought some FQs, most of them pink because my pink stash is so depleted. A few green too because I don’t have much green left either.


So not too much to report on the sewing front. 

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that you are having that pain!! It is so hard to stop in the midst of a project you love doing. I am also still unable to sew due to the Covid side effects--that brain fog is really awful--cannot focus...hope you get some relief soon and can get back to sewing
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about the pain you're experiencing! Hope you and your doctor can figure out a solution. Meanwhile, that pink quilt is adorable. Glad you could go to the fabric shop and buy some pretty fabric - keep it by your chair and pet it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pink quilt is adorable,it's always a good feeling to see scraps come to life in a quilt ,sorry to hear about the pain you've encountered,hopefully they can find a solution soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Linda, that shoulder must be so annoying. At least you have done a little sewing even if not much. Do your exercises and hopefully it will ease and improve…

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to read about your painful shoulder. Is there anything to be done for it other than popping painkillers? Not nice at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you've been dealing with all the pain again Linda, a magic wand would be a good idea - one wave and the pain would have gone! Nice selection of colourful fabrics along with your trip to the lab - hope results all OK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SEW sorry to hear that your shoulder pain is keeping you from you scrappy endeavors. Here's hoping the issue is soon resolved!

    ReplyDelete