Saturday 24 September 2022

Senior moments and Blue RSC round up

 September has been a difficult month for me: health issues for me and ongoing investigations and sudden decline of my dear sister who so sadly died ten days ago. At odd times I have done some sewing, not much, but it is a distraction from thoughts whirling around my head.

Today I decided I was going to do a round up of blue RSC projects.

Firstly, the blue Crumb Coin Quilt flimsy never got basted. I did make a pieced backing and laid them aside.

But I did revisit Cathy ( Crazy by Design blog) and found an idea for using my blue String blocks - not all of them though.  I had a pretty chunk of elephant fabric bought years ago at Spotlight in Nelson, New Zealand which needed to be used. So I cut it into 5.5” squares the same size as the String blocks, added a few yellow String blocks for added zing and I’m happy with the flimsy which measures 36” x 40”.  Just one elephant square leftover for scrap stash. 


A few days later I sewed together two leftover pieces of a great backing fabric ( only scraps left now). It’s an all over pattern so I just sewed, didn’t even think of trying to match. This afternoon I basted it and hope to machine quilt it tomorrow. I also made a scrappy binding from leftover strips of blue and green binding pieces.


A couple of days ago I joined a lot of leftover strips of blue binding ready to bind the blue Crumb Coins flimsy. I had already made the pieced backing so my next job was to baste that one.
Enter Senior Moment.......... could I find the flimsy???? I remembered ironing it and laying it on the bed in my Sewing room but the only thing there was the backing folded carefully in half so it didn’t trail on the carpet. Well I hunted for ages and then  for some unknown reason picked up the backing. There was the flimsy, carefully laid on top of the backing and folded inside it! I have cut the wadding but that’s now on hold. I had lost patience.

Next job was to sew the scrappy blue binding onto the finished Zebra and elephant Medallion quilt.  Decided to use the long blue scrappy binding strip for this too. Now I needed to fix the Walking Foot to my machine, a job I hate as it’s so fiddly, sometimes I do it straight away, sometimes takes half an hour of frustration. 
I keep this in a bag in the bottom drawer of my sewing table. Enter second Senior Moment.
Bag was there, empty Walking foot box was there, no Walking foot. I spent ages searching and then decided I would just order another from Amazon - life’s too short - but I did want to get that binding on so I risked using the ordinary machine foot and it seems OK. Phew!


Final thing done this afternoon was to baste the blue String quilt so that’s ready for machine quilting. As I can’t find my Walking foot I’ve decided to quilt this in the ditch with a Ditch quilting foot I bought a few years ago and wasn’t a hit with me. So that’s tomorrow’s  potential frustration! Off to order that replacement Walking foot from Amazon!

Linking up with Angela’s so Scrappy RSC 2022 blog. 

8 comments:

  1. My sincere condolences for the loss of your sister--so sorry
    to hear that...difficult times for you....
    I like the yellow and green string blocks,,nice work
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to read of the loss of you dear sister, and your own health issues. A very sad time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister, Linda. Sending you quilty hugs! Hope you can get to the bottom of your health issues, too. Your string block quilt looks great! So many things you can do with strings. Hope those missing items turn up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about the loss of your dear sister. Great string blocks, along with the cute elephant squares!!! Great job on getting the binding on without a walking foot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to read that your sister died Linda, also that you are still dealing with the health issues, not a good time for you. You were a trojan to put together the delightful yellow and blue string quilt, so effective and don't we all have senior moments these days, more than we would like! Hope the investigations give a good result for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such sadness the loss of a sister must be so hard to bear. Do pray you are feeling better soon with your own health. I remember meeting you at FOQ must be 5 or even 7 years ago now

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually do my bindings with my normal sewing foot. Hope you walking foot shows up soon.
    Hope you are managing ok with the loss of your sister

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I’m so behind on blog reading! Sorry for not commenting sooner on your delightful quilt and top. I love strings mixed with other things, and yours are so darn cute!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete