Sunday 7 November 2021

49 Patch flimsy

 I managed to find time this week to turn last week’s 49 Patch blocks centre into a flimsy, adding two borders to frame it: a narrower deep pink/fuchsia solid and a pink striped wider border. Pleased with both.

The flimsy measures 43” square and I hope to find time to baste it and think about how it can be quilted.

I’m limited with my machine quilting abilities and can only do straight lines , usually following the columns and rows of the blocks. Can’t see how to make that work with this quilt. Can’t do stippling or free motion which is what it probably calls for! I’m wondering if I do my usual quilting in the sashing and borders and tie the centre of each 49 patch block that it will be sufficient to hold the quilt.

Any thoughts on this would be very welcome!



Another grey dreary November day here so the photo colours are not a true representation of the flimsy. In reality the colours are really bright and cheerful!

Linking up with Angela’s So Scrappy RSC 2021 blog.

5 comments:

  1. I'm a straight line quilter too. Have you thought of doing a spiral with your walking foot? Check it out on U Tube and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a scrappy beauty! Sorry, no good suggestions from me for quilting! I guess if you are going to tie it that depends upon the batting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - a great quilt top! My go to quilting is usually straight line, sometimes a nice wavy one depending on the quilt design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The borders work really well with your 49 patch blocks - it's lovely! What about simple cross hatching - going across on the diagonal, that's always effective.

    ReplyDelete