Monday 13 August 2018

Glitter Quilt inspiration

                              
I spotted this quilt at the Festival of Quilts. It was made by Regina Maier from Berlin, Germany. 
She called it "Twinkling" and the quilt certainly twinkled, full of lovely scraps which Regina had lovingly sewed using the EPP method. The quilt is from a pattern called "Glitter" by Jen Kingwell. Regina made the quilt using a variety of fabrics, including many from old clothes worn by family and friends. What a lovely idea for a Memory Quilt.

                          
A Close up to show the blocks in greater detail. Each one made from different fabrics ( I think, I haven't studied it in such great detail).

I have seen this quilt on two blogs I follow:
Cathy of Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting finished her version earlier this year, a truly scrappy one.
Wendy of Wendy's Quilts and more is in the process of making hers but using a restricted colour palette, greys and lime greens I think I remember.

Cathy lives in the USA, Wendy in New Zealand and Regina in Germany - that quilt pattern has certainly circled the globe! I think that's one of the facets about quilting that appeals to me, the worldwide friendship and inspiration from other quilters who you will likely never meet but their work catches your eye and inspires you to do more sewing.

5 comments:

  1. A great Scrappy pattern. Are you going to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think so. I love the design and the idea of combining so many scraps but I think I would find it too fiddly and I don't think I'm precise enough to do it justice. However, you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting these photos Linda. I had seen another distance photo of this quilt, but not a close up. It’s it great how everyone can interpret a pattern in a different way. It sounds like you had a great time at the Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...I see you are not going to make one. If you think they are too fiddly then just make little nine patches to combine so many scraps.


    It's fun to see different versions of Glitter. It's one of my husband's favorites although he says it is too short for his long legs.

    I had to go have a look at Wendy's. It's a new blog for me. Gosh she has some beautiful quilts!

    And I see from a previous post that you met Bonnie Hunter. I'll bet you were ecstatic! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regina's quilt really does Glitter!! I was going to ask if you were about to make a start on your own version but I see Jo beat me to it, and that you're not!

    ReplyDelete