Monday 29 January 2018

Getting ahead - February's Lotto blocks

I so enjoyed making blue and yellow Lotto blocks for the Sunshine Guild that I decided I would make some blocks using the February colour, Red.  This is a colour I rarely use (not sure why) so as a result I have almost no scraps.  I rooted through my fabrics: found two new FQs, a few assorted strips and a few 2.5" squares.  I also found a larger piece of striped fabric, the main colour being yellow with various coloured stripes.  As a few were red stripes I thought I could include that fabric.


I love making Star blocks so this time I used Bonnie Hunter's Maverick Stars free pattern and made 3 pairs of matching stars.




 

By then I only had scraps left (apart from some of the yellow striped fabric).
I made this block using strips framing a scrap square of fabric which I think I was sent in a swap years ago.

Then I used another of the black and red strips to make this one:
 
Combined the red 2.5" 4 patches with 4.5" squares.  In order to make these I had to cut into yardage, the only fabric I have in my stash that contains red - a piece depicting little red elephants which I intend to keep for backing a baby quilt - one day!

The red elephants feature again in this second block.
 
The only red scraps I have left are a few strings and a few 2" x 3" rectangles left over from making the blocks with the Chinese writing strips.
 
So, 10 Lotto blocks ready to mail to Tammy in Texas tomorrow. Knowing how few bits of red fabrics I owned I am amazed that I managed to eke them out to make so many blocks.
 
Just proving the old adage: "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" is alive and well.
 

3 comments:

  1. Just goes to show that a little goes a long way. Isn't it amazing to see how many blocks you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You did get a lot of blocks out of such a small amount. Way to go. They all look so good!

    ReplyDelete