I put into practice my idea to use the 5 "mistake" orphan string blocks, trimmed them down to 4.5" and turned them into QAYG star blocks, finishing at 12.5".
These are for Adrienne's Block Drive ( On the windy side blog), so she can make Children's Quilts which will be sent to Kaikoura for children affected by the November earthquake.
Not a great photo, doesn't really show up the colours and the Perle stitching.
My favourite block is this one:
I was also pleased with how the yellow string square showed up in the star block. It hadn't worked as I had intended - hence being relegated to "Orphan block" status.But as the centre of a star I think it works well.
Thanks to Jo's contribution of extra 2.5" squares I was able to make another 16 Twinkler blocks:
That takes my total of Twinklers to 61. These will go home to the UK with me and then I'll probably need to sew more of them so I can eventually make a quilt for the Siblings Together charity.
Haven't worked out the maths yet as the quilt size requested is a minimum of 50" square.
I have also made a Premature baby quilt for our NZ local hospital but that will be in another post when I have finished hand sewing the binding,
So I feel I have had a productive week and enjoyed the company of fellow quilters too.