Friday 3 April 2015

A quilt that I forgot

Last week we were visiting friends in Sydney.  The first few days of our trip we stayed in their new house, a farm out in the country, nearest town is Goulburn.  We were shown into the guest room and on the wall was a quilt.  Of course I commented on it and our host laughed and reminded me that I had made it as a gift when we stayed at their previous home, an apartment overlooking the beach at Cronulla!  She said that now she lived in the country she thought the quilt was just right for the Guest Room as it had a "country theme".

When I looked at it again I did remember making it: it was from a pattern in a book I have back in England.  As I always label my quilts I was able to find out that it was a gift I made them for Christmas 2004. I know that I made another little quilt from the same book, in similar colours, which I gave to my sister.  She used to display it on her kitchen wall but now they have a new kitchen it doesn't "go" with the more modern décor. Probably hidden away in a drawer, but it will have been kept, as my sister keeps everything I make her.

Here it is, my long-forgotten Australian Country Quilt:

                                        
 
 
I was really pleased to see it again.  Not my usual choice of colours but ones suggested in the book and ones I thought were right for this particular quilt.  All hand blanket-stitched applique and hand quilted.  I am still amazed that I had forgotten all about making and gifting it!
 
I had a good look at it and was pleased with the sewing.  Here's a couple of close ups of  the applique:
 



I agreed with our friend, it is very suitable, especially as they have a mob of red kangaroos that come around their property.  Sadly we didn't see them.  We have been to Australia several times and I have never seen a kangaroo in the wild.  I did see a wombat though!


When I get back to the UK I shall have to find the book and perhaps make something else from it.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful surprise to see a long forgotten quilt. It's so lovely. I love it's folky look. The colours are so reflective of the Australian country so I can imagine it looks perfect hanging in your friends guest room. I've never seen a wombat in the wild, I think you're lucky to have seen one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I've seen two! One this visit and one about 5 years ago when we were driving to Canberra.

      Delete
  2. It's good to see it is up on the wall. Memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a good feeling, especially as it was so unexpected.

      Delete