Thursday, 5 September 2013

Making progress with Mr Scarecrow

I recently started to make a Gwen Marston style medallion quilt using an appliqued scarecrow for the centre.

This week I have been slowly adding borders. The original idea stemmed from Gwen Marston's Liberated Medallion Quilts book.
When I began to think about the borders I also used ideas from the two books Gwen wrote with Freddie Moran: Collaborative Quilting and Freddie and Gwen Collaborate Again.

I love the quilts and the clever way Gwen and Freddie simplify blocks and use colour and colour and MORE colour!

One of the borders I wanted to try was the Sawtooth border made from HSTs using 2" squares.
I was very pleased with how these turned out.  I am using an autumn palette of yellows, oranges, green and some blue, picking out the colours of the scarecrow.  The dominant colour of the HSTs was orange so I decided just to add this border to the two sides.  Top and bottom as well would have been overkill!  Another border was made from my favourite scrappy pinwheels.  I used 2.5" squares from my stash for these and I was pleased with the result.

So, here is Mr Scarecrow Medallion Quilt so far:

Still a long way to go and I think I need to add some other colours, not sure what at the moment.

However, this is on hold as I have to hurry and finish my Frog Quilt.  The baby is due any day and I discovered two days ago that it will be a boy.  I have several Girl quilts finished but this is the only Boy one in the pipeline.  Lots of hand quilting being done over the last two days!  Nearly finished so hopefully it will be done in time.

Linking with Clare's Maybush Studio blog and her Brit Sewing Thursday Linky.

No comments:

Post a Comment