So, how to use them? After much deliberation I decided to use a fusable webbing on the back of the circular owls and applique them onto spotted fabrics which matched some of the colours in the owls; lilac, blue and a soft green. I hand blanket stitched around the owl shapes.
Then I cut the other fabric into sections of owls sitting on branches. These formed the centres of a log cabin style block. Again I used the lilac, blue and soft green fabrics but to add a bit more zing I framed some with a Michael Miller Ta Da spot in red and an Amy Butler spot in a mustard shade of yellow. I had great fun arranging the blocks into 5 rows of equal length, adding extra strips of spotted fabrics to make the blocks and rows uniform.
Once the top was machined together I sandwiched ready for hand quilting, using the lilac spot fabric as backing. I have now almost completed the hand quilting but I have taken a few photos to email to Bethany's Mum so she can see how the quilt is progressing. I am really pleased with how it is turning out and I hope my customer is too!
And here is a close up of some of the blocks.
A lot of work involved but I have enjoyed it!