Sunday 27 May 2012

Owl Quilt Sneaky Peak

One of my daughter's friends asked if I could make a quilt for her 2 year old's bed. Bethany's bedroom curtains had an Owl motif and I was sent 2 fat quarters to incorporate into a quilt which was to be 40" deep and 55" wide, to go across the bottom of Bethany's bed. Two bright fabrics with really cute owls!


So, how to use them?  After much deliberation I decided to use a fusable webbing on the back of the circular owls and applique them onto spotted fabrics which matched some of the colours in the owls; lilac, blue and a soft green. I hand blanket stitched around the owl shapes.

Then I cut the other fabric into sections of owls sitting on branches. These formed the centres of a log cabin style block.  Again I used the lilac, blue and soft green fabrics but to add a bit more zing I framed some with a Michael Miller Ta Da spot in red and an Amy Butler spot in a mustard shade of yellow.  I had great fun arranging the blocks into 5 rows of equal length, adding extra strips of spotted fabrics to make the blocks and rows uniform.

Once the top was machined together I sandwiched ready for hand quilting, using the lilac spot fabric as backing. I have now almost completed the hand quilting but I have taken a few photos to email to Bethany's Mum so she can see how the quilt is progressing.  I am really pleased with how it is turning out and I hope my customer is too!




And here is a close up of some of the blocks.


A lot of work involved but I have enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment