Saturday 19 November 2022

18th birthday gift

 One of my Great nieces, Lily, celebrated her 18th birthday last Saturday. She had a party for her friends but tomorrow there is an Afternoon tea party at her house for the family. I’ve just realised that since I lost my dear big sister Pat (Lily’s grandmother) two months ago I am the eldest member of the family. A sobering thought. 

We will be giving Lily money as a gift so she can put it towards a gift of her choice but I also decided to make a pretty cushion. All finished and ready to be wrapped up.


Everything came from stash including the cushion pad which I had previously made from spare stuffing. A few years ago I had a phase of making cushions for gifts and bought the pads from a local shop. However I felt they were always stuffed too much and used to open up one of the seams and take out a few handfuls of stuffing. Every now and then I made these into my homemade cushion pads. It appealed to my frugal nature!

I tried  a new (to me) way to make an envelope back for the cushion. I had always made the envelope opening lie horizontally across the cushion but a few days ago I watched  the daily Pat Sloan YouTube video where she made a cushion and made the opening go vertically. I tried this method and I like it. I don’t think the cushion will gape like my others tended to do. I’d be interested to know which method you use - horizontal or vertical? That is the question!

2 comments:

  1. I usually just fold over a longer piec from the top across the cushion horizontally. Secure with ties or press studs. I don’t like doing button holes.
    Happy birthday to Lily. They grow up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a pretty cushion Linda, your great niece with love it!

    ReplyDelete