Sunday 12 June 2022

At last, some sewing time!

 My last actual sewing took place on 30th April. Since then we have had two short breaks away, celebrating John’s 80th birthday at the beginning of May and my 75th birthday at the end of May, and fitted in two large sections of decorating, the first between the two holidays and secondly, after the second. We are pleased with everything we had done but of course that meant a lot of moving things from room to room and then afterwards cleaning everything and putting it back. Almost back to rights now but still a few odds and ends to put back. I have taken the opportunity to look at everything very carefully, deciding whether we really love that vase, book etc enough to keep it. As a result I have made a couple of trips to the Charity shop with donations. My Word for the year is “Consider”, so I have Considered everything I have been sorting out. Pleased with the amount of things I have let go.

At the beginning of May I went through my stash, pulling out green scraps for RSC’s Green month. Well, they just sat in my sewing room until yesterday when I eventually found time and space  (my sewing room became one of our dumping grounds during the decorations) to sit at my machine and sew. I cut out a few Bear Paw blocks in the 2 chosen sizes and then started sewing the smaller ones. As I have said many times on my blog, I have a Spacial Awareness problem, and I find Bear Paws difficult to orientate. Well, yesterday was even worse, because I was so out of practice. A lot of mistakes, a lot of seam ripping went on but I eventually made 4 blocks. 


By that time  I had had enough of Bear Paws so I made some strippy blocks as I had a few ready cut newspaper  foundations ready to use. I made 10 and I’m pleased with them. Mindless sewing, what a therapy!


In between, as Leaders and Enders, I stitched together Bonus triangles from my RSC Pink month and a few green ones I created yesterday and today. On the top, trimmed to 1.75”, on the bottom, trimmed to 1.5”.

Today I didn’t have much time to sew and I got off to a bad start, finding I hadn’t cut enough 2.5” squares for some of the larger Bear Paw blocks I had prepped, so time wasted whilst I rectified that. In the end I only completed 2 of the 4 blocks I had kitted out. Then I ran out of time and steam and patience!


I hope you have all had a productive week on the RSC front and I hope to do better next week!
Linking up with Angela, So Scrappy Blog’s RSC Group.

4 comments:

  1. I love strippy blocks too--and i have trouble orienting angled pieces in a block many times. Jack the ripper has found a home here!!;)) Pretty Bears Paws you've made--nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with your bear paws. I have only ever made few of these. I have trouble doing repetitive blocks. Sewing a little bear and there sure adds up. I am so glad you celebrated both your birthdays in a special way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda, glad to see you’re back to sewing. I know all too well how redecorating and remodeling can interfere with our sewing time and space. Like you, I’m doing Bear Paw blocks this year. I have trouble keeping them oriented correctly, too, so you’re not alone! They’re not my favorite blocks. But strings - ahhhhh, yes. Yours are lovely and I adore the slight wonkiness of the strips! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both your Bear Paw blocks and the strippy ones and pleased to see you're back at the machine. Decorating and moving everything around is a nightmare but worth it in the end. We need to take a leaf out of your book on the sorting side of things, this is something we really can't put off any longer, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete