Monday 14 September 2020

My crochet Covid 19 Blanket


 At the beginning of Lockdown, back in March, I heard of people who were making crochet Covid blankets. As I was also trying to declutter  and use up everything in the house including my stashes of fabric and yarn I decided to make some Granny squares using two colours, alternate rows, two of each colour.  Once I had used up anything that was suitable in my yarn stash I knew I hadn’t got enough squares to make a blanket so I ordered lots of balls of different coloured yarn from Wool Warehouse. I also decided I would use off white/pale cream for joining the squares and rows and ordered those too.

Whenever I had a moment I made the Granny squares, popping them into two large bags until I had used up all my colours. Then I did an extra row of crochet with the off white yarn. I had no idea how many squares I had, except there were A LOT!

I randomly pulled blocks out of the bags, initially joining rows of 10 Granny squares. At that point I had 21 rows and still loads of squares left over. I counted those and worked out I could add three more squares to each row. FAR to many rows for one blanket so I am going to make two. Of course I had to order loads more off white yarn from the Wool Warehouse.

Today I completed the First Blanket. I made a narrow border all around from 5 rows of Double Crochet.

And here it is. Measures 66” x 52”. And I’m thrilled with it.

I shall now start joining rows for the second blanket. One for us and one for my granddaughter.

6 comments:

  1. Love your blanket Linda! I have always wanted to make
    Granny Squares but never done crochet, Mum used to make cushions and mats. I have a book somewhere so must look it out and have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely give it a try. The secret to making Granny squares is to sew in the ends as you go along, at the end of each Granny square. I bought some bodkins from Amazon and they’re great to use. So much better than the hassle of trying to thread darning needles as I used to do !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking blanket. Lovely crocheting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jo. I got so carried away making these Granny aquarist - couldn’t believe how many I stashed in those bags. 273 I think if my maths is correct!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!

    I'm in love with granny squares. I made one of these in the 70s because I needed to do something with my hands to keep busy while giving up cigarette smoking. I have lots of bits and pieces of yarn and was thinking of making another.

    May I ask what method you used to join your squares? I'm ready to join my crochet trimmed scraps and am having a difficult time. I've tried slip stitching together as well as whip stitch. Problem is that I used #10 crochet cotton and can hardly see the stitches to join them. Arghhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Golly! I love your COVID Blanket! I gave all my bits of yarn away in a binge of downsizing! It’s all good! But love yours!

    ReplyDelete