Sunday 7 June 2020

One step forward, two steps back

Well it felt like that this week.
Ages ago I was partway through sewing together columns for my latest Chinese Coin Quilt when I started to make masks, so the Coin columns were set aside (I’d been going great guns until then).
Masks finished and delivered. About to make a start on the Coin columns when my niece mentioned she didn’t have any masks. She’s a Primary teacher (like I was, we share the same birthday, so it’s a rather special relationship) and at present masks don’t have to be worn in the classroom. However, ideas keep changing very fast so we could see that masks may soon be a priority, so I made her a couple and posted them to her.
Then I realised my daughter’s friend’s baby is due in about a month and may possibly arrive sooner so I thought I had better make a start on a baby quilt and that it should be in a similar style to her 2 year old’s that I made when he was born. It had appliquéd his name on a band of fabric towards the top of the quilt. I decided to use Happy Blocks for the main part of the quilt so looked in my box of Happy Blocks.


Some time ago I had asked my daughter whether baby was a boy or girl and at that time the parents weren’t saying so I started to pull out some finished Cat blocks and more cat centres and neutral fabrics for borders. Decided on the idea then a casual conversation with Caroline led to the news that the baby was going to be a girl, so back to the drawing board.

Keeping the Happy Blocks design only lots of pink. I had a bundle of pink FQs that I’ve never used  (always seemed the wrong shade etc) so out they came  plus a few Chunks of scrap fabrics and I made 36 Happy Blocks which I was pleased with.

Set them in 6 rows of 6 blocks , all laid out on the floor. Finally happy with the layout, no two similar blocks next each other etc and sewed them together. I laid them out again before I pressed the rows and found several instances where there were similar blocks next to each other - how did that happen? So quite a bit of seam ripping, repositioning and sewing together again.
On to the ironing board and I discovered several blocks didn’t have straight seams, so more seam ripping and re sewing.
Between the First row of blocks and the other block of 5 rows sewn together there will be a band of fabric where the appliquéd name will go. As we have been in Lockdown for three months I have been using stash, and have worked my way through a lot of fabric. I only had two possible pieces of fabric and neither was right at all. So, I went to the computer and spent ages looking through various quilt shops online to find the fabric I needed. The pinks in the blocks are quite an unusual pink, more salmon and that was really hard to match buying on line. 
I finally chose one and have ordered 3 metres: enough for the name panel, a border, the backing and binding. I hope the colour looks OK when it arrives, if not back to the drawing board again!

Here’s the main part of the quilt, the 5 rows sewn together.


Even this photo isn’t good as it was late evening and we had the electric light on. But I wasn’t going to take another photo!
So now I’m waiting for the parcel of fabric to arrive and because of the extra precautions being taken by the shop to follow the Covid 19 regulations on packing ( I suppose wearing masks and gloves etc) the delivery will be delayed.
See what I mean about 1 step forward and 2 back?
Perhaps today I’ll finally finish sewing together those Chinese Coin columns? I’m not holding my breath.

5 comments:

  1. A lovely quilt! Sometimes things just keep piling up on each other and you feel like you'll never get there! Hope this week is going smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. We had intended to visit my sister and brother in law last Thursday afternoon but it was really cold and raining on and off so we postponed the visit. Hope to go one afternoon this week, depending on the weather. We have to sit in the garden and talk through the patio doors (Covid restrictions) so we’re hoping for some fine weather. Having had a month of beautiful hot, sunny weather we’re now have an extremely cold and we5 one!

      Delete
  2. Such nice colour fabrics in this quilt.Hope your border fabrics arrives sooner rather than later, nothing worse than hanging on with a project waiting for more fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works

    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:::::: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}
    Whatsapp:::::+31687835881

    #STAYSAFE

    ReplyDelete