And I am ridiculously pleased with it!
I made the outer border from 2.5" squares - my stash of squares plus gifted ones from the other Wee Bees. I think the mixture added a lot to the quilt.
The completed quilt measures 60" square, a lot larger than most of the quilts I usually make.
I thought I would have to piece a backing as I don't really have huge pieces of fabric in my stash.
I found the largest piece I had, a bright pink and turquoise spotty number which, with a bit of cutting and piecing, created a backing of the right size. Because of the busy print the joins aren't particularly noticeable.
As the quilt is already bright and scrappy I felt a quieter binding was needed.
Another rummage in my stash and I found a large piece of white with pale blue wiggly stripes. This was gifted to me by one of my lovely Patchwork Group friends. It was a piece of a valance she had made for a bed sheet but as it was no longer needed she gave some to me.
I felt this was just the fabric for this quilt and I am really pleased with the gentle way it completes the quilt. I like re-purposing fabric too so this ticked two boxes.
I am so pleased that I chose this block style for the Wee Bees April Quilt.
I think the charm of the quilt is all the lovely, quirky fabrics everyone chose for their blocks.
My 3 blocks:
Purple centre block
Bottom right pink block
There was a lot of work involved in making this quilt but I am thrilled with the end result.
I will be sewing on the label this afternoon and then it will be ready to be parcelled up to send to the Siblings Together Charity.
Thanks to Nicky Eglinton who asked for Wee Bees to volunteer to make quilts for Siblings Together.
The Wee Bees has now completed three quilts and the fourth is in the pipeline. I think we have worked together so well, especially as we all live in different parts of the country and have never actually met - other than on line!
Have a look at Nicky's blog: mrssewandsow.blogspot.co.uk