Firstly, my finished Zigzag Quilt:
I am so pleased with this quilt, all made from stash, nothing new bought at all.
A few statistics:
Quilt measures 40", which I think is a nice size for a cot quilt/playmat.
I used 72 of my completed 4" Crumb blocks and paired those with 4" squares of yellow, orange and ash Kona Cottons to make the 144 HST units.
Borders cut at 2.5" from a bright orange polka dot fabric I also had in my stash ( just a small piece of that left now)
Bound in a marbled effect bright green fabric which was sent to me recently in one of the Swap bots I joined. I had a fabulous parcel of scraps from Shevvy, several of which were very generous sized pieces, including this green one. Again, I have a little left over.
Hand quilted with a variegated yellow and orange Perle cotton. I just outlined the zigzags and quilted 1/4" inside the borders.
Exactly a year ago I made my first Freckles Quilt fron Emily Cier's Book Scrap Republic. I didn't have anyone in mind for the quilt and put it away with my pile of finished quilts. However, a good friend has recently become a grandmother again so I decided this pretty quilt would be an ideal gift for little Nisha.
I have embroidered a label ( I have called the quilt Rainbow Bubbles) and sewn it onto the quilt and it is now ready to be mailed.
Here's a reminder of the quilt:
This Close up shows how the circles are constructed from strips of scraps joined together. It's so effective, especially as the concentric lines of hand quilting make the circles pop out of the background fabric. I shall have to make another of these quilts! Again, the quilt was all made from scraps I had in my stash as I even pieced the background of this quilt.
There are three babies due in April and May, all grandchildren of New Zealand friends so I am making a few cot quilts to add to my little stash of finished cot quilts. My Zigzag Quilt was added this week and I also decided to turn a quilt top I made some months ago into a baby quilt. It's orange, blue and lime green, featuring a lovely Owl fabric. Simple squares and rectangles. I managed to find enough pieces of fabric in my stash to stitch together for the backing and sandwiched the quilt a couple of days ago. The batting is a pale green one made from recycled plastic bottles, a Cot sized piece I won in a Giveaway ages ago.
I even had enough of the batting left over to use for two Premature baby quilt tops that were also sitting in my WIP box. Last night I sandwiched those together, backing them with more of the vintage sheet I used as backing for my Siblings Together quilt.
So, all in keeping with my New Year Resolutions to finish WIPs and to use up my stash!
So, a productive week! I can now enjoy looking after our little 3 year old granddaughter this weekend, all sewing put safely away, out of reach of little hands!
Have a great weekend and do comment on this post if something has caught your eye.