Monday 14 March 2016

First quilt finish for 2016!

Wow, I feel as though I should hang the flags out................... I have finished my first quilt in 2016!
I have been making two baby quilts side by side, one in pink for a girl and one with blues, greens and oranges for a baby boy. Baby boy Josselin arrived a few days ago so the blue quilt has a home to go to, back in the UK.

Here it is:

 
The quilt top is made entirely from scraps, fabric leftover from a baby quilt I made last year for Max. 
The crumb blocks were also made from those scraps augmented with a few other scraps in the same colours which I thought added extra interest and variety.
 
I hand quilted in the ditch, very simply as I thought the quilt was 'busy' enough.
I bought the backing fabric at Spotlight, a cute elephant design ( I love elephants!), a soft silky feeling Japanese fabric. I know elephants don't really go with the On the Farm theme of the quilt, but I couldn't resist it and the colours were a perfect match for the colours in the quilt top.
I chose a lime and white striped fabric for the binding, again purchased at Spotlight.
Striped bindings are my favourite choice, somehow I think it gives the quilt a smart, finished look. And this lime and white is very crisp, like a Granny Smith's apple! 
 
Quilt details: Blocks 4.5" unfinished,
Alternate fabric block and crumb block.
Border cut at 3".
Measures 41" square
 
I have two more Quilt Groups to attend this week, the last for each Group before we go back to the UK.
 The MQC meets tomorrow and I will be making some more QAYG blocks for Jan in Australia.
I have got 9 prepared, backings cut to size and batting pinned on so all I have to do is sew on the strips - all ready too. I managed to find enough batting scraps to make 9 more blocks which, when trimmed, will finish at 10.5" square.  They will be mailed later in the week.
On Saturday it is the Vintage Quilters Group meeting when I will hand sew the binding on the pink baby girl quilt and hand embroider a label for Josselin's quilt.
 
Then no more sewing for me until I am back home in the UK.
Our family arrives on Sunday so we are all very excited. First visit for our SIL and beautiful granddaughter. Our daughter has been here once before, back in 2007!
 
But I will blog about the baby girl quilt once I've sewn the binding.  And that will make TWO finishes for 2016!
I don't seem to have done as much sewing as in other years but we have had a lot of visitors so lots of cooking and washing and changing bed linens!  But that's all good too. We love to see people here.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time you have been having. And your finish is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt and a great way to use up colourful scraps. Have a wonderful time with your family visits.

    ReplyDelete