Sunday 19 November 2017

Two flimsies: UFO Mr Scarecrow and wedges

I started a medallion-style quilt based on a Scarecrow printed figure back on 1st August 2013.
I worked on it and then set it aside - for a LONG time!  It's recently appeared at the top of the pile and today I finished my flimsy.


The last pieced border was very recently added, consisting of RSC 2017 4 patches made into square in a square blocks. All made from scraps. I had to make extra 4 patches from green and yellow 1.5' squares as I didn't have enough brown ones. The outer border is a plain cream Egyptian cotton cut at 3.5".

Some close-ups:


I really like the 4 Patch border.


Yesterday I showed the wedge shaped scraps I had been given.  Today I combined an idea I had with a comment from Cathy (Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting blog) and came up with this Premature baby sized flimsy:

]
I paired solid and patterned wedges, made a template 2.5' x 5.5" and cut them all to the same size.
Played around for a while: a couple of ideas didn't look right but I finally came up with this placement.
I found this a challenge due to my difficulty with special awareness. I wanted the "mountain peaks look" which I finally achieved but it was hard!  I have several finished pieces which are the wrong way round. Now in the orphan blocks pile.

However I happy with both flimsies.



4 comments:

  1. Your preemie quilt is so cute, a great use of those pieces. The scarecrow and those scrappy borders are a perfect match. Have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scarecrow quilt is such fun, love all that scrappy color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two sweet quilt tops finished. I really love how you added those scrappy borders to mr scarecrow, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got the scarecrow back out again. It's wonderful. Aren't you wondering what took you so long?

    Oh, and the preemie quilt turned out so cute. Great use of those scraps!

    I kind of have a spatial awareness problem too. That's why I don't like paper piecing. I don't know if you have a yearly basic skills type testing over there but when I was in school we did and sometimes a part of the test would show you a flattened box or container and you had to answer what it would look like put together. I hated that. Never knew what that info would do for me. Still don't!

    ReplyDelete